10 March 2011

IAM encounter


Here's the first glimpse from my trip to New York City to participate in the IAM Encounter. Actually I should clarify; I didn't take many photos, so there won't be much more to see, but I have another art entry in mind from visiting the museum that will have images I didn't make. John is the one to thank for nearly all of the photos that ever show up on here...I get wrapped up in conversations and things with people and forget all about the camera. Thus, these images all come from the time I spent alone in the city. But this is a long digression!

So first, here's a link to IAM (International Arts Movement). In a nutshell, it is an arts organization that seeks to have substantial conversations about art and faith and promote the making of art that "re-humanizes" the culture and world around us. It's grounded in Christian faith, but tries to have the conversations in language that lets everybody participate, knowing that God is not limited to working through people who follow Jesus in changing this world.

The Encounter has been an annual point of gathering people together. We sit and listen to all kinds of people from a variety of professions (this time we listened to poets, fiction writers, a scientist, a priest, a philosopher, an actor, a film script writing expert...you get the idea), experience some pretty incredible performances and generally have an opportunity to participate in some sort of collaborative visual art display. Breaks and meal times are great for meeting people and talking through what we're learning or what we're doing creatively in our own world.

This is the second time I've attended. I thought I'd give you a few of my favorite "quotes" from the time. Let me just say that the quotes are pretty approximate. I'm sure I missed a word or two! Nonetheless the idea is clear.

From Mako Fujimura (IAM founder):
"Artists, you are rich, not poor, in creativity to heal this poisoned culture." (poisoned meaning things like de-humanized, devoid of things true and beautiful)

From Li Young Lee, poet in an interview talking about writing/finishing a poem:
Lee: "But then my ego comes in and says 'That could be better...'"
interviewer: "Doesn't your ego ever tell you that it's good?"
Lee: "No. I got the bad one. But it's just as bad as the other one that's all puffed up."

From Bobbette Buster, script writing expert:
"[Imagination] saves us all from pain and suffering that we might have had."

From Nigel Goodwin, actor (and a bunch of other stuff) talking about ministry:
"When you love people, you don't need bridges."

I think they will be posting podcasts of the lectures on the IAM site sometime in the near future so you can listen for yourself and verify my quotes. :)

And then I just have a couple of things I delighted in seeing. So much is on a grand scale in NYC. These are both parts of huge window displays at Anthropologie and the Lego store.


Lastly, I highly recommend this video - a great example of the multiplied impact of collaborative art-making. The Johnny Cash Project Just hit "watch the video" and then play. You can find out tons more about how it's made (or participate) on the site.

No comments: